After trying every diet and fitness program on the market, author Mike Berland has unlocked the secret for permanent weight loss in his latest work, Fat Burning Machine
Here are some of his favourite fat-burning recipes from the book:
TAKE-AND-GO EGG CUPS
Serves 4 – 6
- 12 foil cupcake liners
- 12 slices deli ham or turkey
- 1 cup egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Italian-blend shredded cheese
- Fill muffin pan with foil cupcake liners.
- Place 1 slice of ham or turkey into each foil liner, folding it in carefully to be able to hold the egg whites. It will look like a flower petal.
- Mix egg whites with salt and pepper. Pour roughly 2 tablespoons egg whites into each foil liner. Top each egg cup with optional red peppers and cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 20–25 minutes.
- 2 eggs
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh horseradish
- ¼ cup chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
SALMON A LA MARCELA
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix eggs and beef first. Then mix in the remaining ingredients until blended well. Form the mixture into a loaf and place in an olive oil–wiped baking dish. Cover and bake for 70 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until internal temperature is at 155°F.
Serves 4 (a one-plate, full meal that combines a salad, sautéed vegetables and salmon)
- 4 salmon fillets (approx. 2lb.) with skin on
Combine to make the marinade:
· Juice of 1 lemon
· 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
· 3 tablespoons fresh herbs (choose from rosemary, cilantro, parsley), chopped
· ½ tsp. fresh pepper
Pour marinade on a plate. Place salmon fillets skin side up. Refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes before cooking.
Cut into bite-sized pieces:
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1 yellow or orange pepper (seeded and cored)
- 1/2 cup of Cherry (orange, yellow, red)
- 1 Haas avocado
- 1 Endive or Radicchio (optional)
- Goat cheese (approx. 2-3oz.)
Mix all ingredients (except the goat cheese) in a large bowl, mix well.
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons, extra virgin olive oil
Dress the salad. Crumble the goat cheese and add delicately to combine. Refrigerate if necessary.
Cook the salmon:
- Discard the marinade.
- If you’re using a grill, coat the grill grates well with oil to prevent sticking. Place the salmon fillets on the hot grill skinless side down first for about 10 minutes, then carefully flip and finish your grilling with the skin-side down for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending how you like your fish cooked.
- In the oven: preheat to 450 degrees, cook on a baking sheet skin side down for 15-20 minutes.
- While the salmon is cooking, sauté the vegetables:
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups of fresh mushrooms (any variety), sliced thin
- 1 cup of Brussels sprouts, sliced in half (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tsp. Black pepper or lemon pepper (or to taste)
- ½ tsp. kosher salt (or to taste)
Marcela Miguel Berland
- Add the oil to a skillet. Heat over medium heat and add the onions till browned. Add the remaining vegetables and salt and pepper along with a splash of water to finish cooking.
- Arrange salad on dinner plates, top with the warm vegetables and then the salmon.
- Serve immediately while vegetables and fish are warm.