The first long weekend of the summer is almost here so it's time to fire up the grill, kick off your shoes and enjoy that extra day off with some friends and food. Camille Moore
shared the following super easy (and delicious) recipes that are guaranteed to get your long weekend off to a good start!
All recipes courtesy of Walmart.
- 20 shortbread cookies
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Club House ground ginger
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
SEARED SALMON WITH GRAPEFRUIT AND SNOW PEAS
- Coarsely break cookies and place in a food processor. Pulse until fine crumbs form. Pick out any large chunks (and eat them!). Crumbs should measure about 2 cups (500 mL). Turn into a bowl. Using a fork, stir in melted butter until evenly moist. Press onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch (23-cm) pie plate.
- In a small bowl, stir 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch (or 2 tbsp/30 mL if using frozen berries) with water until dissolved. Place fresh or unthawed frozen berries, sugar and ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon peel and vanilla. Pour into crust. Spread to edge of pie plate. Refrigerate, uncovered, until set, 5 hours or overnight. Great with a dollop of whipped cream. Leftovers will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 2 days.
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 8 leaves Boston lettuce
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 avocados, pitted and cubed
- 1 large grapefruit, segmented
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
ITALIAN BREAD SALAD
- Sprinkle salmon with salt. Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add olive oil, then salmon, skin-side down. Cook until underside of fillet is lightly golden.
- Turn fish and cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Blanch snow peas and pat dry. Divide lettuce and arugula between plates.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together. Arrange avocado, grapefruit and salmon on top of greens. Drizzle with dressing.
Makes 4 servings
- 3 cups grilled vegetables (tomato, eggplant, peppers, zucchini, onions)
- 1 garlic clove, minched
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 slices of baguette, cubed (day old works best)
- 160 g goat cheese
- olive oil
- balsalmic vinegar
GARLIC AND SPICE-RUBBED STEAK
- Combine vegetables with garlic and salt in a large bowl. Stir in bread cubes and lightly drizzle with oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese.
- 3 Top Sirloin Steak 8 oz, about 1-in. thick, at room temperature
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Coat steak with oil. Combine spices in a small bowl, rub over both sides of steak.
- Oil grill, preheated to medium-high. Barbeque steak, with lid closed, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Let steak stand 5 minutes on cutting board, then thinly slice across the grain.
- 5 cups Watermelon seedless, chopped
- 1/2 cup lemonade
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 can (355 mL) soda water
- 1 lemon, cut into slices
For more recipes from Walmart, click here.
- Whirl watermelon with lemonade and lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Pour into a pitcher. Refrigerate until chilled.
- To serve, stir in club soda, then pour over glasses filled with ice and garnis with lemon slices.