Abigale Subdhan / The Social
If you've been enjoying summer as much as we have here at The Social
, chances are you've moved your meals outdoors to the barbeque...but you might be getting a little tired of the same ol' recipes. Candice Hutchings from YouTube's Edgy Veg
shares the below recipes for an entire meat-free menu that's made for the grill.
- 8 small portobello mushrooms, or large cremini mushrooms wiped clean and stems removed
- 8 small slider buns
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Worcestershire
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or ½ Tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried basil, or 1 Tbsp of fresh, chopped
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Whisk olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl until well combined.
- Pour mixture over mushroom caps in a plastic bag or bowl and let them marinade for 2-3 minutes, or overnight, flipping mushrooms over halfway through.
- Let cook for 5 minutes on each side. The timing really depends on the heat available in your barbecue.
- When cooked and embellished with grill marks, remove from heat, place on the bun and garnish with your favourite toppings!
SEITAN SOUVLAKI SKEWERS WITH TZATZIKI DIPPING SAUCE
- Kimchi & Vegan egg-free mayo
- Caramelized onion & Avocado
- Spinach, tomato, pickle optional: ketchup or mustard
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 3-4 cups of vegetable broth, for cooking
- 1 onion chopped
Chicken Glaze & marinade
- In a mixing bowl, mix together wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, onion powder and poultry seasoning.
- In a larger bowl, combine ¾ cup broth and tahini and whisk until smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet and stir until well combined.
- Knead the dough until it is elastic but not dry. Sprinkle some additional gluten flour if you find you have made your dough too sticky.
- Divide the dough into small chicken breast-size cutlets. Keep in mind they will grow to about twice their size, so make then smaller then you would normally. Place the cutlets in a casserole dish, covering them with remaining vegetable broth.
- Cook cutlets in broth and onions for 1 hour at 350 degrees, flipping at 45 minutes.
- Remove from broth and place on a drying rack to cool. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp oregano, dried
- pinch of salt & pepper
Vegan Tzatziki Sauce
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- 1 cucumber with peel, seeds removed and grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup EVOO
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 ½ Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 500g of plain coconut yogurt
- 1-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- a pinch of salt to taste
To prepare this dish
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together olive oil and grated garlic until combined.
- Grate the cucumber into a large bowl. Wrap the grated cucumber in a clean dishtowel or cheese cloth and squeeze, in order to get rid of the excess water. Discard water and season with salt and pepper.
- Add to the cucumber, the blended garlic and oil, coconut yogurt, lemon zest, fresh dill, 1 Tbsp of red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and whisk, until the ingredients are combined. Season and add more vinegar to taste.
- Store the tzatziki sauce in the fridge and always serve cold.
GRILLED FRUIT AND AVOCADO HERB SALAD
- Prepare homemade seitan if using, or thaw store-bought chicken alternative.
- Prepare the marinade and place in a shallow dish.
- Cut the chicken alternative into bite-size pieces and place them into the marinade. Cover and allow to marinade for 15-30 minutes.
- Soak wooden skewers in water while the mock chicken is marinating.
- Thread mock chicken onto the skewers, reserve marinade.
- Heat grill or grill pan and cook the skewers for about 5minutes on each side, brushing with leftover marinade.
- Remove from heat and serve with tzatziki to dip.
- 2 fresh peaches
- ½ fresh pineapple
- ¼ fresh watermelon
- 1 avocado, halved and pit removed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced and zest
- Handful of fresh mixed herbs (cilantro, mint and basil)
- Pinch of salt to taste
BBQ'D PULLED PORK TACOS
- Wash fruit and prep for grill. Cut peaches into halves, and pineapple and watermelon into wedges.
- Brush avocado halves with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Toss fruit in a tablespoon or so of olive oil and place on the grill with the avocado.
- Grill both the fruit and the avocado 4-5 mins on each side, until grill marks show, and the avocado skin is slightly charred.
- Remove from grill and chop fruit into bite size chunks.
- Place fruit into a salad bowl and toss with lime juice, fresh herbs, lime zest and salt to taste.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil + 1 Tbsp for pan frying
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans of Jackfruit in water, drained and rinsed well ½ cup vegan BBQ sauce + ½ - ¾ cup extra for topping
- Optional: 2 tsp chili powder
Easy Vegan Coleslaw
- In a large freezer bag add coconut oil, garlic, BBQ Sauce, and chili powder if using, and mix well.
- Add jackfruit and onion to the marinade and allow marinating for a minimum of 2 hours either on the counter, or if marinating overnight, placing in the fridge.
- When the jackfruit has marinated and is ready to go, place a pan on medium heat, and heat some coconut oil.
- When your oil is hot, add marinated jackfruit along with the marinade, and bring to a simmer for about 20 mins, covering to avoid drying out the jackfruit.
- After 20 mins, break up the jackfruit using a masher or a fork and remove from heat. Set aside until you are ready to Barbecue.
- When ready to grill, place the jackfruit in a grill basket, and grill for 5 minutes, ensuring that you are not drying out the "meat".
- Remove from heat, transfer to a large bowl and toss with BBQ sauce to taste.
- Place on corn tortillas and top with tangy coleslaw.
- ½ purple or green cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- ½ Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Whisk together the ACV, mayo, maple syrup, dill, salt and pepper into a large bowl to create the dressing.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, and onion, and mix well.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- The longer you let this recipe sit, the better it tastes!