Right in time for Super Bowl Sunday, Chef Matt Dean Pettit
from Rock Lobster Restaurants shares healthy alternatives to some traditional, fatty football foods.
Sweet Potato Skins with Guacamole & Harrisa
The Super Bowl is all about football, commercials and, most importantly, the snacks. But don’t worry I’m here to make sure you have enough healthy snacks to last through the halftime show. Kick out the deep-fried, greasy French fries this year and reach for something sweet, delicious and healthy! Plus it is vegetarian and gluten free.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Harissa paste
- Guacamole (store bought or freshly prepared)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a fork, pierce each sweet potato a few times on all sides. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and bake for approximately 40-50 minutes or until soft. Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
- Reduce the oven’s temperature to 375°F.
- Slice the potatoes in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the sweet potato flesh (leaving a thin layer of sweet potato inside the skins) and place it into a medium bowl. Place the skins back on the baking sheet, face up, and drizzle with olive oil. Place the skins into the oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes and then remove them from the oven.
- Mash the sweet potato flesh with milk, salt, pepper and Harissa paste until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the skins from the oven, and fill each with an equal amount of mashed sweet potato. Top each with guacamole.
- Enjoy the big game!
Spicy Meatball Lettuce Wraps
Who doesn't love meatballs?! Ditch the heavy carb-filled bread and reach for the high protein, low-cal lettuce wraps. Plus, it is gluten free.
- 500g beef, minced
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce (your fave kind)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 small bunch of mint, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4-6 leafs iceberg lettuce
- 1 orange, zested
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, combine the beef, breadcrumbs, egg, tomato paste, cumin, hot sauce, mint, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, mix well and roll out 12-16 even-sized meatballs
- In a large sauté pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Sauté each meatball for approximately 3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer meatballs to a baking sheet and bake for approximately 5-7 minutes or until cooked through.
- Lay the lettuce leafs onto a plate, and place about 3-4 meatballs into each lettuce leaf. Garnish with the zest of an orange.
Boneless Buffalo Bites
It wouldn't be Super Bowl without some kind of chicken dish. Let go of those greasy, deep-fried wings, and reach for this healthier choice! These lightly seasoned chicken breasts are dusted in chickpea flour and baked and tossed in hot sauce. Plus, it is gluten free.
- 1 cup chickpea flour (also called gram flour or besan)
- 1⁄2 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp. brown sugar
- 11⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup 2% milk
- 3 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks or strips (about 3⁄4 lb of chicken)
- 1⁄4 cup Frank’s hot sauce (or your fave Buffalo sauce)
- 1-2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, paprika, brown sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the egg whites and milk together.
- Place a piece of foil or parchment paper onto a baking sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, dip each piece into the egg mixture, then into the breading blend. Repeat the process so that each piece of chicken is double coated.
- Arrange the coated chicken breasts on the baking sheet. Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and begins to lightly brown.
- Turn the heat up to broil and continue to cook the chicken breasts for an additional 2 minutes or until the surface begins to become golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile in a small sauce pan, warm the hot sauce and butter over medium-low heat. Once the mixture is hot, transfer it into a medium bowl.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a minute. Place the chicken in the hot sauce mixture and toss until all the pieces are coated.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Oceanwise Albacore Tuna Nachos
Let's get rid of the high calorie and fatty store-bought nacho chips and replace them with easy-to-make won tons (nachos) and super-high-in-protein sustainable albacore tuna!
- 1 pack Wontons (nacho chips)
- 1 tsp.+ 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. + 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced (1/2 for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1lb fresh albacore tuna steak
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 Thai chili, thinly sliced (garnish)
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp. lime juice
*Recipes provided by Chef Matt Dean Pettit, www.rocklobsterfood.com.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet (you may need two) with aluminum foil.
- Place 24-36 small wontons flat the baking sheets. Sprinkle them with 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds. Place the trays into the oven and bake for approximately 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Important: Be sure to watch closely as they can burn quite easily.
- In a medium pan, toast the remaining sesame seeds for approximately 1-2 minutes or until mostly golden over medium heat.
- In a bowl, gently mix together the toasted sesame seeds, soy sauce, remaining sesame oil, green onions, ginger, and lime juice.
- Slice the tuna steak into strips lengthwise and then chop them into 1⁄4-inch cubes.
- Evenly coat the tuna cubes in the soy sauce mixture. Chill for approximately 30-45 minutes in the fridge to marinate and bind flavours.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, hot sauce and lime juice. Mix well. Set aside until needed. Remove tuna from fridge and add in avocado cubes.
- On a large plate or platter, build the wontons into a mound, and top with marinated albacore tuna. Drizzle with the Sriracha mayonnaise sauce and garnish with green onions and Thai chillies.